Elevating Your EPK Game in the World of House and Techno Music
Electronic Press Kits (EPKs) have always been a game-changer in the world of music. While they might not shine as bright as they used to (let's face it, we've got our social media profiles doing the talking), they remain an invaluable tool for house and techno producers.
Trust us; having an EPK is not just a recommendation, it's a necessity to soar in the industry. Ignoring it sends the wrong message about your commitment to your musical journey. Let's dive into how to make an EPK that truly resonates with the beats you create.
1. Visual Vibes: Photos are your first groove. House and techno are all about the atmosphere, so don't skimp on visuals. Share an array of snaps - live shots, behind-the-scenes glimpses, and those typical headshots. Journalists and promoters thrive on options; give them your authentic vibe.
2. The Sonic Story: Of course, your tracks are streaming everywhere, but don't forget to include them in your EPK. Even if no one downloads them this way, it's a must. Make your tunes readily accessible for playlist makers, agents, and journalists. Share your entire discography, especially if it's a sweet collection.
3. Artistic Echo: This is an often-overlooked groove. Writers and publications might need hi-res images for your music releases. Include cover art that complements your sound. Be one step ahead; ensure your EPK holds everything they'd need.
4. Credibility Track: We see many artists missing this beat - credits. Create a list, detailing every credit someone might ask for. From your producers to videographers, make it seamless for industry folks. You don't need to place them all in one spot; instead, tag them in your photos and share info about your video team in a press release.
5. Press Play: Have you ever been featured positively in the press? Did a well-known magazine give your latest release a thumbs up? Maybe you've been interviewed by a renowned site? This kind of praise deserves a dedicated "Press" section in your EPK. You can compile clippings into a PDF or share links - or better yet, do both!
6. Link It Up: Let's talk about the power of links. Dedicate a space in your EPK for essential links. This includes your website, streaming platforms, digital storefronts, and social profiles. There's no such thing as going overboard here. Make it easy for anyone to find you - Googling your info should be a last resort.
7. Contact Remix: Wrap it up with a contact section that ensures anyone can easily get in touch with the right person. Whether it's you, your manager, your booking agent, or someone handling sync opportunities, save them from searching. A few seconds to include email addresses and phone numbers can save you from missing out on opportunities down the line.
Your EPK should be a symphony of your journey, music, and personality. Elevate your game, and let your house and techno sound shine through every element of your EPK.
Drop a comment and share your EPK best practices.